The main aims of our curriculum are:
Aspirations- We want our children and staff to have high expectations of learning. Children are encouraged to aim high and to be open to possibilities at school and beyond. This will provide our children with the resilience they need for now and the future and will be driven through all of our curriculum and alongside Thrive, Rights Respecting Schools and Building Learning Power. Our children believe they can achieve!
Oracy- We want our children to speak with confidence and fluency in a range of situations. We believe that helping our children find their voice is important and will work to enrich and broaden their vocabulary and encourage opportunities for talk in all areas of learning. This is also a whole school Oracy push.
Experiences- Children cannot aspire to things they have never encountered. We will work to broaden our children’s horizon, expanding their knowledge of the world by providing them with rich, first hand learning experiences to take the curriculum beyond the classroom and develop their love of learning, independence and critical thinking. All topics will start with a WOW launch to engage the children and will be threaded throughout the topic including possible opportunities of trips and visits.
Aims of Oracy within the Curriculum at Whitleigh Primary
By making links with oracy across the curriculum it will ensure we:
- Engage every learner in talk
- Allow pupils to focus and organise their thoughts
- Provide a clear focus for dialogue to take place
- Enable pupils to rehearse explanations and articulate their understanding
- Build confidence in using sequenced oral narrative language
- Encourage pupils to reflect on, review and improve oral language – in a similar way to the way written work is redrafted
- To improve writing outcomes for pupils across our school